• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Iran government says internet restrictions to be lifted gradually

May 16, 2026, 08:35 GMT+1

Iran’s government policy is to open access to the global internet and move gradually toward lifting online restrictions, Elyas Hazrati, head of the government’s Information Council, said.

“The enemy’s strategy was Iran’s unconditional surrender, but the Iranian people showed they are willing to negotiate, but they will not surrender,” Hazrati said.

He added that after the war, the government should take a broader approach and make room for all Iranians to participate in running the country.

Most Viewed

Iran’s president defends US talks as he lays bare economic strain
1

Iran’s president defends US talks as he lays bare economic strain

2
ANALYSIS

Iran finds a new weapon beneath Hormuz

3

Trump holds off planned Iran strike as Arab allies buy Tehran time

4
ANALYSIS

Two years after Raisi’s crash: Iran has no sanctuary

5
EXCLUSIVE

How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operates from London

Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • How Iran’s blackout warps online picture of public opinion
    INSIGHT

    How Iran’s blackout warps online picture of public opinion

  • Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war
    INSIGHT

    Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war

  • Why Tehran threatens Trump while pursuing diplomacy
    ANALYSIS

    Why Tehran threatens Trump while pursuing diplomacy

  • How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operates from London
    EXCLUSIVE

    How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operates from London

  • Tehran Stock Exchange reopens under tight controls as key firms stay closed
    ANALYSIS

    Tehran Stock Exchange reopens under tight controls as key firms stay closed

  • Tehran and Washington betting the other side blinks first
    INSIGHT

    Tehran and Washington betting the other side blinks first

•
•
•

More Stories

Interior Ministry says Iran remains unstable despite halt in fighting

May 16, 2026, 08:29 GMT+1

Iran remains in an unstable “neither war nor peace” situation despite the halt in fighting, the Interior Ministry spokesperson said, urging executive bodies to take practical steps to stabilize conditions and improve people’s livelihoods and peace of mind.

Ali Zeinivand urged people not to pay attention to rumors or unverified reports, adding: “We are waiting for the war to end so we can announce the election calendar.”

He said Iran’s armed forces remained at full readiness, adding that their level of preparedness had risen sharply since the start of the war in February and was now “at the highest level.”

The spokesperson also said the government was working to secure basic goods despite obstacles at southern borders, using eastern, western and northern crossings instead.

He said provincial governors had been given “important and unprecedented” authority to help supply essential goods and raw materials for workshops and industries through cooperation with neighboring provinces and countries.

“Our country cannot be blockaded,” he said, adding that authorities had no concerns about supplying basic goods after granting greater powers to governors.

Iraq says it exported 10 million barrels of oil through Hormuz in April

May 16, 2026, 08:16 GMT+1

Iraq exported 10 million barrels of oil through the Strait of Hormuz in April, Oil Minister Basim Mohammed said.

The figure points to continued oil flows through the strategic waterway despite the war-linked disruption and maritime tensions around one of the world’s most important energy routes.

Mohammed said Iraq was seeking talks with OPEC to increase its production and export capacity, adding that Baghdad aimed to reach production capacity of 5 million barrels per day.

Iran president thanks Pope Leo for stance on Iran war

May 16, 2026, 07:34 GMT+1

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian thanked Pope Leo for what he called his “moral, logical and fair” stance on the Iran war, saying US and Israeli attacks were not only against Iran but against international law and “human values.”

In a message published by IRNA, Pezeshkian said Iran had acted “within the framework of legitimate defense” by targeting the interests and positions of those he called aggressors.

He said the current situation in the Strait of Hormuz was caused by attacks on Iran, the use of Persian Gulf states’ territory and airspace against Iran, and the US maritime blockade.

Pezeshkian said Iran remained committed to diplomacy, citing Pakistan’s mediation and talks in Islamabad, and urged the international community to take a “realistic and fair” approach against what he called Washington’s illegal demands and dangerous policies.

His message came after President Donald Trump renewed his criticism of the pope over his stance on the war.

“Will someone please tell Pope Leo that Iran has killed at least 42,000 innocent, completely unarmed protesters in the last two months, and that for Iran to have a Nuclear Bomb is absolutely unacceptable,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

Iran says Hormuz crisis hinges on end to attacks and blockade

May 16, 2026, 07:17 GMT+1

Iran’s UN ambassador Amir Saeid Iravani said resolving the Strait of Hormuz crisis depended on ending military action against Iran and lifting what Tehran calls a maritime blockade.

Speaking at a special meeting of the UN Economic and Social Council, Iravani said the current situation in the strait and its global economic consequences were “solely and exclusively the responsibility of those who started the war against Iran and their regional allies.”

He said the Islamic Republic remained committed to “constructive engagement” and efforts to restore stability, energy security and normal conditions in the Strait of Hormuz, “provided that aggression and military escalation stop and the maritime blockade is lifted.”

Trump to decide on possible Iran action within 24 hours, Israeli report says

May 16, 2026, 07:15 GMT+1

US President Donald Trump is expected to decide within the next 24 hours on possible military action against the Islamic Republic, Israel’s Channel 12 reported, citing Israeli assessments.

A senior Israeli official told the broadcaster that Israel was preparing for a renewed conflict that could last from several days to several weeks.

“The resumption of the war is near, and we are preparing for several days to several weeks of fighting,” the official said.